Useful Expressions for the IELTS Speaking Test

One of the most challenging issues a non-native speaker faces at the IELTS speaking test is on how to make their speech more natural. As fluency is one of the areas in the marking criteria, it is vital for the candidate to pause with natural hesitations using fillers and signpost with appropriate discourse markers.
Use the following fillers to fill in the gaps of your speech.
  • er..
  • erm...
  • mmm...
  • ah...
  • uh...
  • hhh...
  • Well...
  • You know...
  • Actually...
  • I mean....
  • What I meant was...
  • Like I said before...
  • Literally speaking....
  • Frankly speaking...
  • As I said before...
Expressions to give your opinion:
  • I think...
  • I believe...
  • In my opinion...
  • From my point of view...
  • As far as I am concerned...
  • To my knowledge...
Expressions to agree with a statement:
  • Of course...
  • I think so too...
  • Yes,I agree...
  • Yes,I agree with you entirely...
  • So do I...
  • Exactly...
  • Absolutely...
  • I don't think so... (agreeing with a negative statement)
  • Neither do I... (agreeing with a negative statement)
Expressions to disagree with a statement:
  • I don't agree with you....
  • That's not entirely true...
  • I'm afraid I have to disagree with you...
  • It's unjustifiable to say that...
  • I'm not so sure about that...
  • Yes, but don't you think...
Expressions to support both sides of a statement:
  • I would say 'yes and no'...
  • I sit on the fence in this case...
  • I would take both sides in this case...
Expressions to request the examinar to repeat the question:
  • Could you repeat the question please?
  • Can you repeat the question once more please?
  • I beg your pardon.
  • Sorry, I didn't get the question properly.
Expressions to request the examiner to retell the question in a different way:
  • Could you rephrase the question please?
  • Can you put the question in a different way please?
  • It's a hard question. Can I think for a moment? (Use this expression to take time for the most difficult question in part three.Take a few seconds only)


Comments

thank you so much for such an information swantutorsonline
ielts coaching in mohali British Career Group pioneers in providing best IELTS coaching and test preparation to its clients across India. We have British Council trained staff members who have got over the years of IELTS teaching experience and our students have scored up to 9 bands in Listening, up to 8.5 bands in Speaking, up to 8.0 bands in writing and up to 8.5 bands in reading modules.
best ielts institute in Mohali
event said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
miawri said…

Hi There,
Thank you for sharing the knowledgeable blog with us I hope that you will post many more blog with us:-
Buy registered Ielts certificate. You can get original IELTS certificate without exam. We only provide the real Registered IELTS Certificates
Email:upport@topglobaldocuments.com
Click here for more information:- more info
British Overseas boasts a team of experienced and qualified faculty members who are well-versed in IELTS preparation at Best IELTS Institute In Chandigarh
CristaAlex said…
Thank you so much for sharing this post. Get to know about Bitwissend, website design company Kottayam.